Friday, August 1, 2008

By the Light of the Slivery Moon

I am jolted awake by the deep and throaty bark of Gatsby. I wait for him to finish and choose not to open my eyes yet. His bark is followed by the shrill and urgent bark of Daisy. She barks like a machine gun fires....aah raw raw raw raw raw! I think that if it were a prowler, they would surely be detered by now so I stay in bed but peep at the clock.

3:14am.

I hear the long nails come clickity clacking down the hall toward the guest room where I am trying to sleep. I feel a long nose snuffling me and reach my hand out to find Gatsby. I pet him and he slams his paw on my arm to prove he is the boss. I pull my hand away. He goes to the other side of the bed and jumps up. Please don't step on me, I think drowsily. He settles in, his back providing support for mine. Feels good. Feels good until he jumps up and gets excited about something he sees, dancing all over me and the bed. Daisy starts up again too.
Surrendering, I get up and let them out. I suspect they are going to chase something, perhaps kill something. They dash out the door like their tails are on fire. The just can't get out fast enough.

I go get more meds. They need to be taken with food so I grab a hand full of fruity cheerios in the dark, mix up some chocolate milk. After I take the meds and down my snack, I go to let the dogs in. I open the door and listen. I hear a nasty crunching sound, shut the door and go lay down for a bit. They will be occupied for awhile I think. I drift off on the sofa until I hear them barking again. Now 3:30 am or so, I think I better get them in before my crazy neighbor, who lives a mile or so away comes over with his gun.

Knowing they were into something. I let them in to the mudroom. They both come panting in. I turn on the light to give them water. Daisy has blood on her paws, and on her mouth. I am too sore and tired to see if it it hers or the unfortunate prey. I go back to sleep on the couch and fall into a deep sleep dreaming of adopting a pregnant dog who looks like Daisy.

I take a peek in the morning and see that this was armadillo #3. Mark across the street was kind enough to move it out of smells way this morning.

No comments: