Friday, August 15, 2008

Our Drought


It has been so dry here. The grass is crispy, the trees are losing their leaves and I am praying that no one gets stupid with matches. I am watering the trees but it has not seemed to help. I was using the sprinkler but now I am just using water directly from the hose at the roots of the trees. I hope they are just going into emergency distress and defoliating not dying.

I hobbled back to the back yard to have a look at a cross rail to the fence that needed to be put back into the post. We have the plastic fencing and I think since Dewey is still a stud colt, I need to make sure he has no escape routes. So anyway I grab the cross rail and see something move inside. A bright green tree frog has decided that this is a good cool place to hang. I decide to let him have his home and I will put the cross rail back later.

Soon Dewey was at the fence wanting attention. Daisy came out to herd him and Gatsby was hanging around being a golden retriever, not bred for intelligence. Daisy and Dewey played a bit and I looked over to see Gatsby eating cherry tomatoes off the plant. Just a little snack before dinner.

The main vegetable garden is dead but the plants that I put in the regular flower beds get watered by our sprinkler system. So the peppers and tomatoes are thriving. I just need to pick them once in awhile.

I am going to give the lawn a good "rip" tomorrow. The blades on the rider mower are not quite sharp enough to actually cut. We need to take the deck off and take it in the have the blades sharpened. We could just take the deck off but that may cause WWIII trying t get it back on.

No comments: