Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mind Blowing Announcement

I spent the morning doing errands, seeing doctors etc. I stopped for lunch at the sandwich shop across from work and saw some coworkers there. Having not been at work yet, I asked how the day was going.

"You didn't see your email?" one asked.

Uh no. I did not answer but looked confused.

"We have a MANDATORY staff meeting at 2pm," the other added.

Seems like the universe has not wanted me to go into work lately. Was this the third THING? Buy-outs? Lay-offs? Is it time to choose career number two?

Back at the office we discussed the pros and cons of being a plumber vs. being an air conditioner repair person. Raw sewage vs. 150 degree attics. We all thought raw sewage would be more manageable.

The office began to fill up with staff, all staff from community newspapers as well as our regular editorial staff. There was a nervous buzz around. Finally the publisher, who is set to retire at the end of the month came down. He looked tired and had lost much weight. He may be battling a serious illness. He began to read a letter written by the head of Cox Enterprises.
" Cox enterprises plans to put the Austin American-Statesman, and the community newspapers in Texas and North Carolina up for sale."

WHOA! did not expect that. The was shock amongst the younger employees and panic from the older ones. Pretty bad time to put a newspaper up for sale. We'll see what happens. I wish I had the money to buy the Bastrop Advertiser so I could have my own newspaper to run like I think it should be. With my luck Gannett will probably buy it and I will have to work for them again.
For now, we keep doing our jobs, let things sink in and consider a "plan B".

Leaving the building tonight, one friend who usually has a positive frame of mind and a cool head, turned to me and said " I feel like I've been bitch-slapped."

No comments: