Saturday, August 9, 2008

My wild garden

My garden is desperately overgrown. The grasses have invaded the beds and the vegetables need picking. I might add that is is had been over 100 degrees for weeks now and the only time to be doing yard work is in the early morning or evening.

The wildlife seems to like it though. This morning two cardinals were playing among the weeds. I wonder what they are finding to eat but it looked like they were chasing bugs. They are fun to watch as they dart in and out of the overgrown roses.

The rabbits snack in the evening and early morning too. They venture in to the yard when they know the dogs are in the house. We have such fat bunnies. I can't help but think it is too bad that we don't eat them. I can't imagine skinning them but I am sure I would not mind trying them.

Come Fall I will take my tiller and stir up the earth. I will add horse manure to try and enrich the clay based soil. I will wait until the rains come again to pull the weeds. They will be huge by that time and I hope they do not seed. My plan will be to forget the plants I love. I will try to be more practical and put more natives in. My rock rose is doing so well I should put more of that in. I will keep my antique roses but I am going to try and fill the garden with natives so the weeds cannot sneak in again. Functional and beautiful. That is my aim. I wish in these past three weeks I had been able to weed or do yard work. I feel so very useless.

1 comment:

Atkins Kelly said...

you sound so much better in spirit talking about the garden. i hope it's true. all the best in your continued recovery.vv