Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sahil is Home!


Sahil, my 4 yr old Arabian is home from Rachel's house. Rachel, my BFF (funny to use that when you are over 25 yrs old) and horse trainer, has been putting so much work into him to make sure he is a safe ride for me. I used to have a HUGE buckskin dun that she swore would kill me if I didn't sell him. She was so worried about it that I did.

She gave me Sahil for my birthday a few years ago. He came home after being gone about 4 months. Things had changes since he was home, namely Dewey. The two met in the pasture. Dewey immediately went up to Sahil and started being a pest by nudging and sniffing. Sahil reacted with a swift kick to Dewey's shoulder. He got a few more kicks in before Dewey decided to keep his distance. Bailey, the old grump, played the diplomat, siding with with neither. He allowed both close but would not be involved when the others were sparring.

The next morning I went out and both the young horses were soaked in sweat. They must have been running around all morning. I might have suspected the nasty humidity but Bailey was dry.

Rachel and I rode Sahil and Bailey (respectively) around the 'hood Sunday night. Bailey was slow, as usualy and Sahil was looking around so it was good Rachel rode him. We just did a shorty. My order from her was to ride Sahil as much as possible, even if it is just around the yard.

We did that last night. He was pretty happy to have the attention. Freaked a little as some low branches hit my helmet and made a funny noise. We rode around them and the went back to that area again. He was better. We ended on a good note and then I fed him. Maybe he will associate riding with dinner. That would be good.

No comments: