Thursday, July 17, 2008

Runaway feeling

I was coming in this morning from feeding and heard a loud hummmmmmmm. I followed it and saw purple sage was in bloom, thick with purpley pink blossoms. As I got closer, I saw it was also a bee buffet. There were large bumbles, small bumbles, honey bees all over it. The buzzing was amazing. I stepped back to see that many of the blossoms had fallen on the ground creating a pink path through the yard. From under the feathery leaves of the mesquite tree, it looked like a fairy path. I dreamed for a moment that I could walk down that path and enter a new beautiful ethereal world.

I grabbed the camera, captured the scene and went inside.

Later, my son wanted to hear Pat Metheney's "Last Train Home" on the way into work this morning. The song's main groove sounds like a train. I could just image watching the countryside passing by as I looked out the train window.

As the song played I drifted off into my imagination and wondered about running away. Just not going to work. packing some clothes and driving until I saw a place that looked interesting enough to stop and look around. Not taking highways, just back roads through small towns. Not telling my family where I was going, maybe leaving while husband was out of town. I think I'd like to take my son. We would have this adventure together.

I have this fantasy often. I imagine the panic as people try to find me/us. I imagine the peace of having no schedule or responsibilities. Of course I would need money but that is just too practical to dream about.

I need to run away.

2 comments:

Atkins Kelly said...

ever read anne tyler? she explores this theme alot, especially in ladder of years, where the main character follows through on the fantasy. i have 'em all if you wanna borrow. still loving your blog. thanks.

photonell said...

Would like to borrow. I don't think I have ever read her. Thank you for reading it. It means alot to me.