Thursday, July 3, 2008

It's a Beautiful DAaaayyyyyyyy

I opened the door this morning to surprisingly cool temps. What a difference it makes feeding the horses at 6:15am instead of 7am. They greeted me with a chorus if whinnies, nickers, and Sahil's trademark scream. If I had one more horse, I could have a barbershop quartet. Bailey is the bass, Dewey is the tenor and Sahil the soprano. I just need an alto.

Got them fed and checked for new scrapes or bruises on the young ones. Treated Bailey's thrush with this purple stuff that looks like my pen exploded on my hand. Counted the hay, I have 33 bales left. Since we are having a drought, I need to figure out how to conserve and plan. I have 50 bales on order and I get alfalfa from Rachel's supplier. That should get me through at least 35 weeks.

Finished up and headed back into the house. Saw four roadrunners playing in the side yard. I wondered if it was momma and daddy teaching youngsters how to catch food. I have been seeing 4-5 of them together for a few days now.

Noticed that Daisy was chewing on something on the front lawn. It didn't look like a stick and she looked like she was actually eating something. Upon closer inspection I found that she was in fact eating something. It took me awhile to figure it out but it looked like a rabbit sans head and skin. I kept saying we had fat bunnies and that we should be hunting them. I guess Daisy (the coyote dog) had the same idea. I wondered if this is what the dogs caught when they went out last night at 3:30am.

I went inside and told husband. He noted that we had a Warner Bros. cartoon, except the roadrunners were being left alone by the coyote, who was dining on Bugs Bunny.

No comments: