Monday, November 10, 2008

Toddler invasion!!


This was my weekend of paybacks. Paybacks for all the wonderful friends who watch kiddo when I am working, injured or relaxing.

Saturday morning Mitchell came over. He is three, a year younger than kiddo. He will will be good for Kiddo to know as they grow older. Mitchell is a tough kid who is fearless. Being afraid just never seems to cross his mind. He came over with his parents, who where looking at family pictures I took of them last weekend. They were amazed at how sweet and good he looked in the photos. He got into the shoot because he got some attention and he got to be with Mom and Dad at the same time.

Saturday afternoon kiddo and I went to Michael's house. They played there while Michael's mom and I did horse stuff. They have a huge pile of sand that the boys love to drive truck in. I think they could stay there for hours. I need to get one before he grows out of that stage. (When he does, I'll put compost on it and have a raised bed garden with good drainage.)

The plan was for the boys to play and then come to our house to eat dinner and have a sleep over. The boys decided they were starving so Michael's dad made them dinner. I loaded them up in the car and we began the night.

Kiddo wanted to watch a movie and of course M agreed. however, M was not really interested in watching a movie so he dumped out the blocks and began to build. Kiddo joined in and the movie was forgotten. They got into the Halloween candy (my mistake) and got a little crazy. I decided to calm them down by giving them a bath. They had fun playing in the tub. They seemed calm enough when they came out. In fact Kiddo was ready for bed. M wanted to sleep in Kiddo's Thomas the Tank engine bed, unfortunately so did kiddo. We popped up the Thomas tent and made a bed in there. Well, then M wanted to sleep in there with kiddo. Tight squeeze for two big boys. They battle for awhile until I took the tent bed down. Trying to get them to sleep together in the double bed was not going well. I created a bed of sorts with an egg crate foam pad and a down comforter. Each boy got his own pillow and blanket. That seemed to be working so I went to watch TV.

I heard a yell, a blood curling "oh crap what happened" yell. It sounded like my kid, which was better than it being our guest. M was out of the room with the double bed apologizing over and over. Kiddo was crying on the bed with a big old knot under his eye. Best I could tell there was jumping on the bed and wrestling. M's knee connected with Kiddo's eye. I got the ice pack as M told me he got hurt too and wanted to go home. I told him it was okay and just wait one minute while I get the injured party settled down.

Ice pack in place, I turned my attention to M who was downstairs asking me to call his mommy. I tried to calm him down to get him to stay but in the end called his mom. She came over laughing. She told me how she would do this to her mom all the time growing up except it was usually more like 12am or so. I told her what happened and she took it in stride.

I went up to check on kiddo and he was fast asleep with his ice pack on his face. I forgot to take a picture. It was cute. IT had been his second ice pack for the night, the first was his foot when he dropped the book he wanted to share with M on it. I got a fresh pack and sat with it gently on his face, careful not to wake him.

The next morning kiddo was very sad that M had gone home. He wanted to have blueberry muffins with him. We went down later in the day and M's parents marveled at kiddo's shiner. M was still insisting that he go hurt too. I think it was more painful for him to see kiddo get all the attention than kiddo's shiner was to him. They are still best friends and kiddo cannot wait to have a sleepover at M's house as soon as possible. EDITOR"S NOTE: The red on his face is strawberry fruit pop NOT an injury

No comments: