Thursday, November 13, 2008

Intern Letters

We have a paid internship at the paper for a photographer. We are splitting up the portfolios and choosing the best of the 10 or so we are reviewing.

I made the mistake of actually reading the cover letters and autobiographies. Why they were asked (or maybe not asked) to sent an autobiography, I will never know. I am sure it must have said a SHORT autobiography. After all, when you are just out of college or about to be, how could you even have a long biography?

Here are some excerpts from some of them.

"Photojournalism requires passion (sometimes just talent). It is a challenging profession that demands nothing but the best from every assignment with constant critique and editing (which will get you defensive and pissed off). Workdays are long and often start and end when the rest of the town is asleep. (where did you work?) The stories that are told pull at your heartstrings causing an array of emotions: sadness, anger, frustration, elation, love, grief and hope. (until you get burnt out and really just to get some time off) It can be physically taxing balancing heavy equipment while lying in awkward positions to get the best angles and the best shots. (what?) Assignments can be dangerous, uncomfortable and dirty. I've only had a taste of this as a student, and I want more." (no really, if you want more of that you should become a cop)

" The INSERT PAPER NAME HERE'S commitment to excellence in journalism,the reputation of its photography/video department and the unrivaled work (we have no competitor) your publication produces are the reasons I want to work in your newsroom."

couple of paragraphs about experience here.

" Whether it's the compelling visual journalism of the photography and video department or the cutting edge multimedia projects for the website, The INSERT PAPER NAME HERE is doing the type of journalism I want to be a part of."

I know B.S. when I read it. REALLY.


More later when my eyes relax from all the rolling.

1 comment:

thao said...

you should dig mine up and tell me how bad it woulda stood against the current intern applicants! :)

I'm kinda afraid to dig through the archives to see what I wrote!