Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election day!!!!!!!! finally.


It has always been tough for me to vote on election day proper. I try in the morning and there are big lines. I cannot go at lunch because my polling place is too far from work. By the time I get off work, I may or may not make it to my polling place after picking up kiddo from daycare.

The only sensible option for me this year was to early vote. I chose my time thoughtfully. Early voting was open Saturday in my county. The University of Texas/Okla State game was that afternoon. Hmmmmm, Saturdays I tend to plan my travel and errands around the game, meaning I go out when the game is on.

Kiddo and I headed to the early vote location in Bastrop. He did not want to go. I grabbed on of his Highlights game magazines and bribed him. We were greeted warmly and the folks at the check in were ready to give my son as many "I voted" stickers as he wanted. I voted, he played quietly with his book.

When I finished, he did not want to leave. As we walked out of the building he said "Mommy, I'm sad."

"Why are you sad, honeybear?"

"I am sad because we are done voting."

A man walking in heard out exchange and I heard him chuckle as we left.

We have gotten many calls for last minute campaigning. It was my pleasure to say that I had already voted. When I told one caller this, he had the nerve to ask if I had voted for his candidate! I replied, slightly shocked, that it was personal information, thank you very much!

This morning kiddo informed Daddy that he had already voted.

"Oh yeah?" said Daddy, "Who did you vote for?"

"I don't know," kiddo replied, without a care.

No comments: