Monday, October 13, 2008

Italy: the right way, part two


Guitano wound up the narrow roads to Ravello. Occasionally we had to stop to let a tour bus navigate the narrow hairpin turns. I was lucky to be in the front seat where I could take pictures out the window. It amazed me how the land was terraced to accommodate grape vines, lemon trees and olive trees. We saw a number of hiking groups who were using the old peasant trails in the hills to go from town to town. We saw donkeys waiting to take loads up the hills where cars could not go.

Once we got to Ravello, Guitano let us off and we walked to the town square while he parked. He said he would meet us at the square later and take us to lunch and a small local restaurant. We explored the shops in the square trying to get in before they closed for lunch. The door was being shut to the cameo factory when I was about to go in. Lunch had arrived right before me. We went to lunch inviting Guitano to eat with us. He said he would eat in the back with the drivers. We suspected that the drivers eat free if they bring their clients to certain restaurants but they must eat in the back. We ate a simple lunch. Momma of the restuarant was taken with my brother-in-law. She pinched his cheek and made sure he had enough to eat. She then scampered off and returned with some faded looking grapes. "These are from my garden", she said proudly, " You eat." We laughed wondering if we should be honored or if it was an Italian joke to give Americans yucky grapes to see if they would eat them. We ate the good looking ones and paid our bill.

We then walked and walked and walked to Villa Cimbrone, noted for their beautiful gardens and incredible views. We were not disappointed. The tree lined path led to an outcropping with sculpture and a view of Amalfi. Off the beaten path there was a rose garden that had not had it's Fall bloom yet. I think I could have stayed another 2 hours there exploring and making pictures but I was in the minority. I know we missed so much more. It seemed like there was more to do in Ravello but we were on a schedule and needed to get back to Positano for dinner.

No comments: