Thursday, October 16, 2008

Italy: the right way, part four



Our trusty driver Guitano picked us up at the San Pietro on the morning we left Positano.

The morning before, as we headed out for the day, a cruise ship made its way close to the hotel and blew the horn several times. The owners along with several members of the staff stood on the top terrace and waved scarves and umbrellas as the ship passed. The ship seemed too big for the Positano harbor took a left after it passed the hotel and headed out to sea. We later learned that a former staff member of the hotel was recently hired by the cruise line and was on that ship. What a sweet moment we witnessed!

On our agenda today was a quick stop in Pompeii. I have wanted to see the lost city since I was 10 years old. The images of bodies in agony as they lost the battle with the volcano fascinated me. I could not image a city so old having such a sophisticated lifestyle. I had to see it.

Guitano asked us if we wanted a tour guide, my in-laws wisely said yes. He quickly made a call and it was all set, a guide would meet us in Pompeii. Did I mention that Guitano knew everyone?

When we arrived, I was amazed at the amount of tourist junk that was there. I don't know why it surprised me but maybe I though it should be a respected monument. Luckily the tourist junk was on the outside of the city. We met Francesco, who got us tickets quickly and ushered us though the turnstiles and into the city.

Francesco was very knowledgeable about the city and his English was excellent. He had spent time all over the world before coming back to Italy. There were huge tour groups from cruise ships speaking German, Japanese, French and English. We had limited time and a small group so Francesco took us to the main attractions. I think we got so much more out of our visit than if we were on our own or with a huge tour group. Many of the building were closed for renovations but we did see so much. Again, I think I would have liked to have stayed longer to see more but we only had 2 hours.

In the middle of the public baths, my camera battery died. Luck was with me because my father-in-law had a camera with the same type of battery. He gave me his. I thought that was very nice and continued my mad pursuit of photos. I wonder if they ever let private tour explore the parts that are blocked off to the public. It would be worth it to volunteer at the dig just to get that opportunity.

As we left I thought about what I learned: didn't know the city was fortified by a huge wall and guard posts, the Italian archaeologist that first discovered the bodies saw they were really pockets in the hardened ash and poured plaster to make casts of the victims, lead pipes for plumbing who knew? (probably why they had a short life span, so many brothels (wonder what crime was like?). I hope to go back someday but at least I can say I saw it.

We found a small restaurant for lunch and had pizza and coke light. oh yes, Caprese salad of course! I thought everyone was going to sleep after lunch so I commandeered the front seat on our drive to Sorrento to catch the hydrofoil to Capri.

No comments: