Thursday, October 30, 2008

Easy Come not so Easy Go

I knew it had to come to an end at some point. Every semester I would try and decide if the time sucker of teaching a class was worth it. So far it has been. The students have been interesting and talented. Every semester, I wonder if they are going to ask me back. They did for 3 semesters, which I suspect is pretty good.

Today I was told in a very sweet and personal way that next semester someone else would be teaching MY class. While I am sad at the loss, I understand the need to have a full time staff member teach more than one class. I mean, I teach a class AND have a full time job. WTF! He will do a great job but it will be a different class with a different vibe.

I better get the credit card paid off again, take advantage of my faculty discount and remember what it is like to have some time to spend with my family.

It truly is a mixed blessing. They may ask me back someday and may not. At least I have it on my resume. I know I enjoy teaching. I may need to rethink where I am going in the future with my career, which may be nonexistent in the near future.

No comments: