Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Saturday shoot


I really wanted to write about this sooner, but Saturday I had a lovely relaxing drive to Hempsted TX via Independence, X. I always stop in Independence because of the Antique Rose Emporium. I just love the place! I roam around the ground admiring the garden projects. I usually buy an antique rose or two but it was nearly 95 degrees and I didn't really feel like worrying about them while I had my shoot. I did wonder why a building was missing though. Turns out they had an electrical fire last winter that took out the main building. They are rebuilding and I hope it will still have the quaint charm that the other building had.

Onward to Hempsted to photography my old workout buddy's mom's horses. I had never met Shane's mom just heard about her from Shane. I would be meeting her at her trainer Becky's place. I had it in my mind that Shane's mom had large appaloosas and the trainers place was going to be this imposing place with lots of white fencing and a big white barn. Don't ask me why, it is just what I had in mind since they were close to Houston.

When I turned in the driveway, I was pleasantly surprised. There WAS a kick ass arena but the farm was humble and neat. I met Leslie, Shane's mom. Not what I was expecting at all!! I knew she was petite but I guess I was not expecting short red hair. Becky was just as tiny with short, stylish, blond hair and a very intense gaze.

We walked around and looked at the farm deciding where to shoot and firming up what exactly they were expecting from the photography. We had very pretty warm afternoon light and chose a location by a pond. It was very pretty and Becky's husband had just mowed. Shane's dad was there too taking pics. He was nice too. We all laughed when I told them I was from Timonium because they were from neighboring Hereford in Baltimore County. Small world.

We photographed mares, geldings and Becky's Stallion. I could tell he was special. He was so tank-like and strong looking. He had a kind eye and was very gentle. I could tell he adored Becky. He had a keen taste for spanish moss.

After we were done with the formal pics, we wnet to the front paddock and did some the the old sweet broodmare who likes bananas. The light was so pretty but the horses were more interested in the camera than having their pictures made.

All in all it was a fun day of meeting new people, new horses and making pretty pictures. I really need more of those days. At least I did not want to leave from there with another horse. I really think I have what I need for awhile.

No comments: