Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Five more days of summer

Tonight was a teaching night. I teach a photojournalism class at the University. Parking at the University is always either a)scarce or b) expensive. Last semester I paid $9 to park in the garage so my car would at least be in the shade. The open lot next door was $8 and not much shade.

This semester I use a pass to get me into a lot that is relatively close to the building where class is held. There is usually a shady spot that I can grab.

Tonight I came out of class, walked across the street enjoying the nice weather. I got to my car and my stomach flip-flopped. There was a friggen boot on my tire! I saw some University guys in the lot.

"Would you all happen to know how I can get the boot off my car?" I asked a sweetly as possible.

"We don't do boots," said the driver.

Funny, I thought, what are all those orange things in the bed of the truck?

"Call number on your ticket," said the driver attempting to be helpful.

Walking over, I saw that it was not so much a ticket but an obnoxious paper slapped right on the driver's side of the windshield. Peeling it off the best I could, I called.

"Why the boot?" I asked. "I have a parking permit that is valid."

The student, I know student because it was one of those thankless jobs that students make tons of money doing because people are always yelling at them or hanging up on them, informed me that I had an outstanding ticket from May.

BACKSTORY: Back in May I went to pick up a final project from a student who promised me she would turn in her then late assignment on this day and leave it in my mailbox. The 15 min parking was full so I pulled into the garage with flashers on. The parking police dude was sitting right there in his golf cart and did not attempt to stop me. I ran upstairs, found NO project in my mailbox and dashed down to my car. The very same parking dude was writing me a ticket. Still writing it!!! Can't you stop and tear it up since I am here? NO he said but you can probably forget it and not get into trouble.

My outstanding ticket had gotten me booted. I walked to the nearest parking garage, paid the fine and slowly walked back to my car. Within minutes the boot man came and took off the boot. I not so merrily went home a little more in debt.

End Note: Husband has an outstanding parking ticket with the city. I keep warning him that he is going to get booted. He has not yet. He laughs at me and assures me the city is too busy to pick on him. We'll see. Unfortunately, I will most likely be driving when it happens. I think I will stick to my cars.

No comments: