Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mother's day. We eat.

I went to my parents in Virginia for Mother's Day. Husband and son were already there. My sister came down from Maryland with her adult daughter as well.

What did we do?

We ate. Strange how when we get together the activities for the day (or lack of) revolve around eating.

Saturday night my mom made a family favorite with hamburger, beans, potatoes and bacon. Husband and I went out for sushi. We found a smallish restaurant called Ichiban that was not a chain. It served sushi, Chinese and Thai food. Although, with the caliber of sushi that we sampled, I could not see why you would waste calories on something so pedestrian as Kung Pao Chicken. After 2 saki cosmopolitans and a number of taste rolls (rainbow, spider, volcano and the house roll), we left with just enough room for dessert.

We crossed the street and The Chocolatier. We ordered a dark chocolate fondue with Bailey's Irish cream. They served it with fruit, brownies, pound cake, pretzels and marshmallows. Tasty! And because we changed out seats so they could fit more people in this tiny space, the owner treated us to passion fruit and another chocolate with hot peppers. Both were wonderful. It pays to be nice.

Feeling VERY full we crossed the street again and bought an ice cream cake for Mother's day dessert. It was hard to imagine wanting to eat that when we bought it.

The next day dad made blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Lunch was fresh green beans (good and healthy!), KFC chicken, coleslaw and biscuits and my sister made mac and cheese with extra butter and cheese. I was glad hubby was working because he would have been grossed out by the fat content. I stuck to chicken, beans and coleslaw. Stuffed again, I was happy that I had walked that morning and considered going again before dinner. Unfortunately, it rained and rained and was windy as all get out. Dinner was a delicious pork shoulder roast, sauerkraut, fresh asparagus, cooked apples and mashed sweet potatoes.

Really, why do we eat so much? I do not eat nearly that much at home. It does probably explain my constant battle with my weight though. When I chose to have one hot dog for lunch, my mom who has always been worried about my weight, asked if I was sure I didn't want 2 hot dogs....NO!!!!

I wish food were not so central in may life. I am happy that I like to exercise, I would do it 2 hours or more a day if I had the time. Constant battle, constant awareness and a lifetime of bad choices. It is the one thing I should have control over but feel like I don't.

No comments: