Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How nice is nice?

I left to go to the gym on my lunch break today. The lot was full and I saw an older employee looking for a spot. As I pulled out, I let him know where I had just left from so he could get my primo spot. He was grateful.

That got me thinking about what makes a person a good person. I get sad sometimes thinking about all the things I should be doing to make the world a better place. All those people as busy as I am who start non-profits and travel to parts unknown to do good work make me think I should be doing more.

But then I thought about how we know nothing about their personal lives. That person could be a terrible neighbor who plays music loud at all hours of the night. They could stay seated when they see an older person who needs the seat more. They may not call friends back when they know the friend needs help. Little things but still make a person good.

So who is better, the person who gives millions of dollars to charity but is lousy to their family and friends or the person who may not give away money or time but is a good thoughtful person on a daily basis? Does it matter? Do we need both in the world for balance? I know that loving one another is the answer for a better life. I don't give money to charity on a regular basis but when my best friend needs me to pay a bill or two of hers I am happy to help.

I think it is better to do a little good everyday than a huge good once in awhile. I'll bet the guy who gave out $100 bills at Christmas time to people on the street and at bus stations was a good person all the time. He could have made a large gift and gotten his name on something but that didn't seem like his style.

Maybe someday I will give out money on the street but until then I'll help when I can and hope that people remember me as a nice and good hearted person.

1 comment:

Atkins Kelly said...

hiya--i know your post is about internal subject matter, but it makes me want to tell you this anyway: the u.n. world food program is in dire need of support with the world economy in such a bad state. my other favorite charity is savedarfur.org. check it out. thanks for the fun and interesting posts.