Thursday, May 15, 2008

Morning Storms

Yesterday the alarm went off at 4:30 am, husband was determined to get out for a run before he had to go out of town. I heard him get ready and went back to sleep. A few minutes later I popped awake to the sound of our 90 lb golden retriever whining. It was his "I see lightning and I want you to hold me" whine. He does not mind thunder, just lightning. I rolled out of bed, went downstairs and put him in the mudroom with his doggy girlfriend , our fearless border collie. The rawhide I then slipped to him kept him pretty quiet. As I trudged back upstairs, I noticed the weather and wondered when husband had left for his run. The storm looked like it was getting close. I slipped into bed, heard the wind kick up and the thunder rumble.

My imagination started going into high gear....were was husband. Is he out there in the storm? Should I leave son in bed and try to go find husband in the car? Would husband stand under shelter if the lightning got too bad or would he run home in it? He would not take the chance of disturbing neighbors for his safety. Would an early rising neighbor give him a lift home? Would anyone stop if they saw his charred smoking body on the side of the road? Would anyone find him if he were struck by lightning?

All of these thoughts rambles through my head until I head the front door quietly open and close. Thank God. He stripping his wet clothes off and came up stairs. I opened one eye and said "I was worried about you". He laughed and replied that it was just a little thunder and lightning. He then not so quietly packed for his trip as I tried to squeeze in 30 minutes more sleep.

No comments: