Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rain, Blessed Rain

It has been raining for the past 2 days here in Central Texas. We have needed it. And while it is 45 degrees and raining, miserable weather by some standards, I am happy to see it. I dumped about 2 inches from the horse feed buckets this morning. I got their blankets on last night so they are damp but toasty. I am sure they would like to be in the front pasture but that is closed in hopes that some grass will grow. I am tempted to go by some grass seed and put it down today, except that I have a sinus infection and feels like my head may explode at any moment.

I got some plants put in over the weekend so now they can have a nice drink and not get fried.

I am trying an orange tree and a lime tree. I have seen rather large citrus trees in the area. I planted ours near sprinkler heads and on the south side of the house. I am also going to put in a fig tree this weekend.

Our fruit tree totals will be this: 5 peach trees, 2 plum trees, 1 apricot, (not sure how many pecans survived the summer) one for sure, 1 pear tree, maybe 2 apple trees (again not sure if they survived the long hot summer, 1 fig, 1 orange tree, 1 lime tree and then 2 lemon trees in pots and one lime tree in a pot. I want kiddo to be able to pick fresh fruit as he grows up. The orange tree is right outside my office window. I am looking at it along with the sandbox, roadrunners, and happy birds playing in the rain.

No comments: