Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Central Texas Bucket List

When you live in Central Texas in the Austin area, there are certain things you MUST do before you leave or die (assuming you never leave Austin to live somewhere else). My short list includes:
1. Swim in Barton Springs
2. Go to the Capitol
3. Dance at the Broken Spoke
4. Eat at as many local, non restaurant chains as possible.
5. have a Mexican martini at the Cedar Door
6. See something at the Paramount
7. visit the UT campus (extra points if it is during a football game)
8. hike the greenbelt, especially when there is water flowing
9. See a live music show anywhere (too many places to select just one)
10.Hang out on South Congress, visit the shops and bask in coolness.

I crossed off #3 last week. I had a friend from way back visiting. In fact, he was my first prom date. I went to six proms over four years so that is how I can have a FIRST prom date. He wanted to go to the Broken Spoke to go dancing. I am one of those people who thinks I am a good dancer but really am not because I constantly try to lead when I am dancing with a partner. I am working on this.

Dale Watson was playing and the hubby was home so it seemed like a good opportunity to cross something off my list. We got there and paid the $5 cover (I should have paid the $8 cover so I could get a dancing lesson or two). Tim got us a couple beers and we got the lay of the land. The dance floor is long and rectangular. On either side, there are tables up a step, then up another step on each side there are more tables. A basketball player would have issues because the ceiling are very low where the table are. Maybe this encourages sitting and having a beer.

We watched the dancers spin in a counterclockwise motion around the dance floor. There were good dancers and not so good dancers. No one seemed to mind either way they were just happy enjoying the music. I am not going to describe the pain I put Tim through trying to dance with him. But I clearly needed to let go of my need to lead so I looked at the ceiling to try and feel want his body was telling me to do. I suggested he ask other women to dance while I watched.

An older gentleman asked me to dance. He was tall, had a grandpa belly and a kind face. I explained that I would love to but I was not very good. He showed me some steps off to the side and worked with me until I got the rhythm. Then we tried it on the dance floor. After several dances I got a little better. He held me firmly and guided me around the floor. Pressed against his belly, I felt surprisingly comfortable and went with him as we two stepped our way though the crowd. He was, in fact, a grandpa who was taking the night off from watching his grand kids who were the same age as my kiddo.

After a couple beers, I was ready to try and dance with Tim again. He didn't give up on me and finally we had a good dance to a fast-ish song. It was so much fun and everyone was there to dance and listen to Dale Watson. We met a couple from Norway, a young woman from Australia and one from London.

I had to go to work the next morning so around midnight, I asked if he minded if we got going. I think he would have liked to stay but came with me just the same. I would like to go again some day and pay $3 extra for the dance lessons.

No comments: