Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My job future

All the newspaper closings and layoffs have left everyone in the industry nervous and on edge. I have to say, me included. I AM usually the optimist. I am going to continue to do my job the best I can and not be sad about the veterans who all took the early retirement. Their last day was yesterday.

I can't help but wonder if I need a plan B away from journalism.

I know it will not be teaching, Texas is flooded with teachers now that folks have lost jobs. Teaching what they know (or don't know) seems the most obvious. The medical field needs folks but I don't think I am cut out for that.

Would I want a job that ties in with something I love doing? That is what I did with photography. Sometimes my job takes away from my love of the craft. Something I did not expect and that I am not crazy about. I have become a jaded somewhat and at times fail to appreciate the beauty of the art of photography. Teaching at UT helped me get some of that passion back.

I love to bake. If I go to culinary school to become a pastry chef, will I continue to love to bake or will it become a chore? I love to garden. If I get a degree in landscape design or horticulture, will my garden become an evolving thing of beauty or an overgrown mass of weeds? Career with horses? Mine would be neglected and horse people either have tons of money or none.

I wonder if I should learn a trade. A plumber or electrician? They do some nasty dirty work but get paid well and will always be in demand. I don't even know how to go about becoming skilled in a trade.

The hospitality industry seems like a good fit for me. I love making people happy and feel welcome. The pay is less than desirable though especially when you consider the fact that you have to work weekends.

Speech therapy sounds fulfilling but I don't have time for that much school. That also goes for most therapy where I could help folks get well.

For those who know me, I would love suggestions. I am sure there is somethink I have not thought of. Maybe I will not even need a plan B. I hope not. It has taken me 20 years to become good at what I do. I am much too impatient for that agian.

No comments: