Friday, June 20, 2008

Update on baby birds

This morning, I asked husband to have a look for the baby birds. Nest is empty was his report. EMPTY???? I am pretty sure they were too small to fly. I didn't notice any on the ground. The only thing I can think of is a midnight snackin' snake.

On the bright side, at least I do not have to deal with smelly dead baby birds that momma would not touch again after I rescued the one. I never realized how stinky dead baby birds get until a bunch died in my fence post. Yes, really. A very small bird had made a nest inside a 2 inch diameter metal pipe that hold my fence gate. Some how they died. Maybe they could not get out, or maybe they drowned but they stunk for a week.

The other bright side of no baby birds at the front door is that our killer golden retriever will not eat them as they learn to fly. He managed to gobble down one that was learning to fly in the garage before I could catch all 90lbs of him and drag him into the house. Honestly knowing what goes into that dog's mouth makes me never want him to lick me again. Pretty gross, baby birds, baby bunnies, horse poop, very old vegetable scraps from the compost pile (he climbs over a 2 and a half foot wall to get to those).

He and his border collie partner in crime got an armadillo the other night. The armadillo and his (or her) family have been aerating our lawn and garden beds looking for grubs. They do minimal damage so far so I really do not care. My neighbors feel quite the opposite. They hate the armadillos tearing up the lawn and the shrubs. I have volunteered to rent them killer and his cohort. I could start a natural selection pest control business. Completely organic and natural!!!!

No comments: