Friday, June 6, 2008

The Guest


Well he started as a guest. My friend called and said she was dropping him off at my house. Uh, okay I said not feeling like I had much say in the matter but thinking he would be fun to have around. Tell me what you think of him, she said, but do not trust him for one minute!

Lucky for me this was not a human guest. She brought me a year and a half Egyptian Arabian who was not quite what the breeder had in mind for her program. My trainer said I could keep him if I liked him but that would be the end of horses for me for awhile. Arabians live to be 30-40 years old.

Al Fadoulee is his name. He looks like a red roan now but will shed to gray by the time he is six. He has a mischievous manner but is friendly. The breeder was calling him Doulee but my trainer misheard her and started calling him Dewey. We liked Dewey better. He will be bigger than Sahil. The husband who thinks horses have ruined his life (at least when he gets angry at me), adores him. He suggested we keep him. I gave him the final word on the matter. Lucky for me, Dewey follows him up and down the fence line. He feels like they have made a connection. I really do not think that it will inspire the husband to actually learn how to ride, but maybe Dewey will be gentle and calm enough for him to be able to trail ride on him in the future.

At this point he is a stud colt but we will get him snipped. I have been worried about him jumping out of the pasture to go find a girlfriend but so far he enjoys the safety of his home. As a matter fact, somehow the gate go open the other night and Bailey was in the front yard grazing. Surprised the husband when he came back from his run at 6:30am. He got him back in the pasture but did not see the open gate. He came in a told me about Bailey aka Houdini. I got worried thinking we had a break in the fence. I looked out the window and saw the open gate. Dewey was standing near it and Bailey was out in the yard again. I dashed down the stairs, out the door and got to the gate. Dewey was just standing there looking at me. I don't think he had any intention of going through it. Got Bailey back in and fed them breakfast. I think Dewey thought breakfast would be much better than escape.

I like this horse. I have a good feeling about him. He is brave and bold but loves humans. He comes when called and does not get insulted when you make the rules for him. I am glad we are keeping him.