Thursday, April 17, 2008

Socially on my own

Today I had an event to attend, Austin Settings. I had a "date" who had other things pop up so she had to opt out, leaving me to attend on my own. Austin Setting is a cool event put together by the sorority that I was a member of in college. I have been wanting to get involved and meet people in the alumni organization but the events just don't seem to work with my schedule. Finally this one did.

Armed with my camera, my shield I like to call it, I checked in. I quickly met a very kind co-chair and began snapping pics of beautifully decorated tables. The flowers were to die for. I found the table I was assigned to and put down my purse to mark my spot. I wondered who I might meet. The room was full of beautiful women wearing expensive clothes and jewelry. Women who look like grooming is their number one priority in life. They have time to get their nails done, shop for clothes that fit and workout regularly. I was getting nervous and jealous.

Four women approached and sat down at the table. We introduced ourselves and I knew that everything was going to be all right. They were very warm and friendly, normal looking women. I wonder that if they had been sitting at another table, I would have assumed they were part of the upper crust set. They were after all wearing lipstick, except the one with lovely long dreds. Then I realized that I was just looking at a few beautiful women and not seeing the majority. The majority were working women who took time out of their schedules, like me to attend this fund-raising event. My fear and insecurity completely got the better of me. I ended up having a nice time. I may never see these four women again, but today, they welcomed me into their tight-knit group. That is what I love about Austin.

No comments: