Monday, April 21, 2008

Poorer and not much wiser

Sahil is my 4 year old Egyptian Arabian. He is a small but sturdy bay with white socks on three feet. When he was a baby he had pneumonia and was man handled to get the medicine down. Needless to say he HATES the going to the vet.

Last Thursday Sahil choked on some food eating too fast. Sometimes when this happens the food dissolves and passes without trouble. After some observation it was clear to my trainer, Rachel, that he was in trouble. She and a friend got him to the vet and called me. It was serious and I needed to get there immediately. By the time I got there he was sedated but doing okay. I missed the scariest moments with the tube down his throat, thank goodness. We kept him there three days to make sure he could get the medication needed so he would not have another bout of pneumonia. He was unhappy at the vet's, shaking every time the doctor came near. He was lonely without his horse friends talk to.

We picked him up on Saturday and he was happy to be leaving. As Rachel got him in the trailer, I went to pay the bill. So much for being debt free. Funny thing is I am not realy stressing about it too much. I paid off my credit cards in full last month after years of debt. I know I can do it again. My horse is better and I know I would have been heart broken if he had died. I think maybe I would have sworn off horses all together for awhile. I have my old grumpy horse but rarely get a chance to ride him. He is more of a pasture ornament.

Sahil and I have a long partnership ahead of us. I am looking forward to a long life with him.

No comments: