Sunday, March 16, 2008

Soundtrack of Life

I am at work and the tune "Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition" is going through my head. There is no real reason why but I am wondering if it has something to to with Iraq or just work in general.

I am always amazed at how a song can transport me back to a time in my life. The memories attached to the song are crystal clear. In the past few days I have heard the following:

Round About/Yes- "borrowing" my older sister's Yes album, staring at the art work and being amazed by the song.

Baker Street/Gerry Rafferty - 7th grade pool party. First makeout session on a lounger by the pool.

Don't look Back/Boston - yellow corduroys, plaid levi's shirt sitting on David Nelson's lap in a big lounge chair, feeling triumphant that I got him yet very nervous about what was to come next.

Goodbye Stranger/Supertramp - just the very defiant nature and confidence of this song was my anthem in jr. high

James Taylor's Greatest Hits (Carolina in my Mind and Something in the Way she Moves) - Being in Buffalo and finding mascara on my boyfriend's pillow when I went for a visit. Laying there debating whether I should drive 3 hours back to Binghamton.


Kiss From a Rose/ Seal
- 2 memories here, Being at a ballpark before anyone was there, and the sound was being tested. This song came on and I was lost in it. Warm summer day, standing on the field at Camden Yard enjoying the music. AND a snowy night in a hotel room with a non-boyfriend who told me that if we listened to that song while we were together, that I would never be able to hear it without thinking of him and that night. He was right.

Anything by Rush or Robert Earl Keen reminds me of my husband. Crazy how the two are NOTHING alike! I guess they represent him as boyfriend and then husband. :-)

More on music memories in another post, maybe I will swing through the eighties...how I loved my jean jacket and all the buttons I had on it!

1 comment:

Atkins Kelly said...

i am loving your blog. i can see the sights, smell the smells and feel the feelings. keep it coming!--kel