Thursday, April 2, 2009

The neighborhood inconvenience

This Saturday we have a woman's half marathon coming through the neighborhood. It turns around in our neighborhood, so technically it comes through twice. Our comings and going are going to be impacted from 7am until 11am. We are a neighborhood of early risers, get things done kind of people, so I suspect this inconvenience may have made some folks angry.

We are also a neighborhood of opportunists. Since the run comes by our house twice, I suggested everyone come on over about 8am and we will cheer and have breakfast. We also don't miss too many opportunities to have a social nip here and there so I am thinking mimosas will be on the menu. Something decadent about drinking mimosas, eating muffins and watching folks run but what the hell!

My co-worker Pam is running. Her running pals ditched her so she is solo. I am going to make a sign for her, tell everyone about her and she is going to get the BEST cheering section. A neighbor is also running it. We will make her a sign too and she will get cheered. She may stop and have a drink though. Who could blame her? Our house is also on a killer hill so the runners will need that extra encouragement on the way up and out of the neighborhood.

I love the idea of the neighbors hanging out on the front lawn, the kids playing everywhere and runners going by, thinking our neighborhood would be so fun to live in. It really is the best.

Somehow this also reminds me of college. We had "wake-ups" where we would get doughnuts and beer, bring keg to a fraternity and wake up the house at 6am. Beer and doughnuts...mmmmmmm. Now that we have grown up, we are mimosas and pastries. Not too different. Then, we cheered for the drunk guys who decided to take their clothes off and run around naked....now we will cheer suitably dressed motivated runners. Seems more respectable somehow.

2 comments:

simon said...

You should cheer for Joshunda, she'll be running it too! Love the mimosa and pastries idea ... if I lived closer I'd be there in my jammies!!!

photonell said...

yay for Shunda too !!! awesome. Glad you told me. Come on over Friday and you guys spend the night.