Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Parenting Faux Pas and other tales of the season

Christmas snuck up on us this year. Here we were finishing up Thanksgiving leftovers and Christmas let itself in the back door. I was doing all right with the shopping. We decorated in time for our neighborhood cocktail party. Got the tree and decorated it as well. Somewhere an extra week just disappeared.

What happened? Was it in the middle of my several rushed Christmas card shoots? Was it while husband was gone on assignment? Was it while kiddo was being spoiled rotten in NYC with the grandparents? I really have no idea.

No cards were sent this year. No cookies were baked this year. The packages that made it to holiday destinations were lucky. Everyone else gets a New Year's gift.

It is 2 days until Christmas. Kiddo is being an absolute pill. He does not want to get dressed, go to school, wear this shirt, eat breakfast.....

He wants to wrap gifts, put them under the tree, play with his Christmas train, make cookies, eat cookies, have hot chocolate with marshmallows. Can't say that I blame him, I would like to do all that too.

He wants Daddy home. Yeah, so do I. He wants Oma and Opa because they are not mean to him like Momma is. ( I am mean because I won't let him stay in his PJ's all day).

In my own frustration, I have become a terrible parent. He has cookies for breakfast, I bribe him to get in the car by promising him a donut (he also has to promise to be good until Christmas). I don't have the time to spend with him that I need. As he hesitated to go into class this am, I had to call work to tell them I would be late. I sat in the hallway of daycare, holding kiddo until he was ready to go into class. I know he wants attention and us to share in his holiday excitement. I want to as well. I think this may be a lesson to me that I should at least take off Christmas eve in the future.

No comments: