Thursday, June 11, 2009

crazy weather

I watched the storm roll in via TV. Outside I could see the gray clouds piling up to the north. The air was heavy and still but the tree frogs were singing their normal summer song. I hurried to feed the horses so I could get them all back together in the pasture to fend for themselves in case we got bad weather. Back inside the storm still had not reached Austin. Not wanting to scare kiddo, who was just quizzing me about tornadoes this morning, I watched the weather upstairs while he watched his show downstairs. From the bedroom, I could see an amazing lightening show. Time to go get stuff ready.

Downstairs, I cleaned out the closet under the stairs. We keep out cleaning supplies there so I transplanted them to the back hallway. I put down a sheet, some floor pillows, a cube pillow and got a sleeping bag. My mother called from Virginia to let me know a tornado was spotted in Austin. Uh, yeah, thanks. As if I was not worried enough as it is. I quickly hung up and continued my quest to make the closet fun. I gathered a flash light and head lamp.

I told Jake we were going to have a cave adventure. He tried it out and decided it might be fun. He got his portable DVD player, his Bakergan and two rubber snakes. He brought in banana bread and chocolate milk. I grabbed my computer and some books for him. We put up a baby gate to keep the dogs out of the closet. I love them but they are stinky and hot.

At this moment, Gatsby is sitting just outside the baby gate in the hallway, whining occasionally. Daisy in in the kitchen and Jake and I are lounging on the pillows in the closet. He is watching Ant Bully and I am typing away. The door to the closet is still open and the TV is on although I really cannot hear it because of the movie. If I shut the door to the closet Gatsby gets very worried. The storm seems to have weakened but not the thunder. Jake and I are kind of comfy and will hang here until it goes away. Anything for him to go to bed later.

No comments: